Jul 11, 2007

Go Go Federer!

Here's my recently completed Swiss Pride Hat that I designed exclusively to wear while watching Roger Federer win Wimbledon for the 5th straight time. He's an amazing athlete, watching him at his best is like ballet. I'm very proud of this hat because it turned out exactly as I envisioned it (it's the Swiss Flag by the way) and I conquered scary intarsia by just plunging right in. I also hear that the Mad Hatter is planning on making the same hat!



Project: Swiss Pride Hat
Source: My Design
Yarn: Plymouth Encore Worsted in #9601 & #208
Needles: US 7
Started: 6/29/07
Finished: 6/30/07
Comments: Intarsia, smarsia. I was nervous about attempting this colorwork without practicing, but it was a complete snap with no problems whatsoever. I thought I might have to do some duplicate stitching at the corners of the cross, but once the ends were woven in, it was fine. I did block the hat with a sample of Soak, which I really liked. The yarn is mostly acrylic, so it didn't do too much, but it does smell good! Poster Boy here I come!

I also blocked my Cotlin hand towel and the Soak worked wonders for it. The stitches are nice and even and it doesn't stretch out horribly like before. It feels a little softer and will probably increase with use. I can't say much for the slight pilling which will probably increase as I use it and toss it in the laundry, but I'll probably use the yarn again.

Lizzy, I would recommend Mason Dixon. It has a lot of things for the home, which I like, but if you want to look at lots of examples, check out the archives of the KAL.

Stay tuned for a very long list of things to do coming soon!

2 comments:

The Mad Hatter said...

Yes! I will make one myself. As soon as I can finish the blasted gauge swatch. They are such pesky little things. Perhaps I can just borrow your gauge... How different can it be?

Sarah W. said...

Really cute hat!