Jun 7, 2007

The Weird Turn Pro

I apologize for the absence of the last month. There have been a lot of parties, get-togethers and some vacation recently, anyway it's been hectic.

I got a lot of yarn with birthday money, but I don't think I'm going to post it all. I will show you this tantalizing mountain of Kureyon for my blanket.


Yay for yale sales and generous employees!

I do have my finished Harry Potter Beret to show off soon and I'm currently in a semi-frantic mode to finish the baby blanket by the end of the French Open this weekend. The due date is not until September, but I want to be done with it so I can be involved in other things.

I did go crazy and start another blanket. Maybe. I picked up some Tahki Cotton Classic to try out a few mitered squares from the Mason Dixon book. I didn't like the mitered squares in the Ninepatch Dishcloth, but they weren't very straight and looked awful. Of course, they did not lie and mitered squares are addictive. For now I'm just playing around with colors and having a good time. I like having a tiny little project that's instantly gratifying. I'll think about putting it all together into a blanket in the years to come.

Okay, so I got my first tag from kathymarie for the Seven Weird Things About Me meme. I think pretty much everything about me is weird, but my mind goes blank when I try to narrow it down. Let's see what I can come up with:

1) I don't drive. Technically I know how and plan to someday, but I've never wanted to drive in this city. The people in this city are crazy. This has caused undue stress and annoyance to others and major embarrassment to myself over the years, but I've stuck firm. It makes me feel like I'm 85 and I long for the day when I live in a smaller, safer city. Or better yet, somewhere with excellent public transportation. I can't say I really understand how families can afford 2 & 3 cars either.

2) I snap my fingers constantly while listening to music. Some people clap, some have the sense to avoid making their own sounds, while I am compelled to snap. I have a very firm, loud snap, equally so with both fingers. This can be somewhat embarrassing as well, but I can't help myself. I have both good (strong) & bad (weak) snap days.

3) I love all my books so much. It's a lot of fun to organize them into their different genres, by height, or alphabetically. Sometimes I like to just relax and look at them. It's reassuring to know they are on the shelves if I need them.

4) I try to be as organized as I can when it comes to knitting. I'm an extremely messy & lazy person, so this can be hard, but so far it's going along pretty well. All new yarn & needles go into an extensive database. Any leftover yarn from a project goes in as well, after being weighed. All yarn goes into plastic bags that are manually vacuumed sealed and then into a storage bin or trunk.

5) I have a very sensitive gag reflex. Sometimes a smell or sight can trigger it very quickly and I keep gagging and retching until I calm myself down. The smell of eggs and mayonnaise leave me very susceptible to this.

6) I'm deathly scared of a home invasion and have been since I was like seven. I used to stay up until 3 in the morning reading Archie digests because I thought someone was going to come in my bedroom window & knife me to death. It's gotten a little better, only a little, and consequently I always have to sleep on the side of the bed furthest from the door so I have time to roll off and escape. I can drive Greg a little crazy with hearing sounds and checking to make sure doors are locked, but he usually goes right to sleep. There's hardly a night that goes by that I don't picture it all happening. I really believe I was raped and murdered in my home in a past life.

7) In the past people have always thought I'm a good listener because I'm somewhat quiet and let them go on & on about their problems. For some reason, people that are a little off have always been attracted to me. While they always said I was nice & patient, I really have never liked people very much. They really annoy the hell out of me. It's much better to read what people have say on blogs than be face to face with them.

Okay, I tag Sarah, Anna, Greg, & Lizzy.

1 comment:

The Mad Hatter said...

Tagged me, Eh? I guess I have to start thinking about some weird things about me.